Current:Home > InvestGerman officials detain a fifth suspect in connection with a threat to attack Cologne Cathedral -Capitatum
German officials detain a fifth suspect in connection with a threat to attack Cologne Cathedral
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 12:16:25
BERLIN (AP) — German authorities said Monday they detained another suspect in connection with an alleged threat of an attack on the world-famous Cologne Cathedral over the holidays, bringing the overall number of people detained in connection with the alleged plot to five.
The latest suspect, a 41-year-old German-Turkish man, was detained Sunday night in the western city of Bochum in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Police detained three people on Sunday morning and one man last week. All of the detained suspects allegedly belong to a larger Islamic extremist network that included people across Germany and in other European countries, according to Cologne police chief Johannes Hermanns, German news agency dpa reported.
The other four suspects were detained in different cities across North Rhine-Westphalia. The one who was detained last week was identified as a 30-year-old Tajik man. No details were given for the three who were detained Sunday morning.
The attack was supposed to have been carried out on New Year’s Eve with a car loaded with explosives, local media reported.
Cologne police said in a Sunday news conference that the cathedral’s underground parking garage had been searched and that explosives detection dogs had been deployed, but nothing was found. The entrance and exit of the underground garage had also been checked for suspicious activity.
North Rhine-Westphalia’s Interior Minister Herbert Reul on Sunday called the latest detentions a “success, for which I would like to thank the investigators.”
Islamic extremists have always been active, but they are currently more active than usual and the Catholic cathedral was a prime target for them, Reul said, according to dpa. “The police always try to be a few steps ahead,” he added.
Police had received information about a planned militant attack on Cologne Cathedral shortly before Christmas.
The city’s world-famous cathedral has been under high protection for a week and the threat led to the closure of the house of worship for tourists since Christmas Eve.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Asian American, Pacific Islander Latinos in the US see exponential growth, new analysis says
- More endangered Florida panthers have died in 2024 so far than all of last year: These roadkills are heartbreaking
- Asian American, Pacific Islander Latinos in the US see exponential growth, new analysis says
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Man suffers significant injuries in grizzly bear attack while hunting with father in Canada
- Shaboozey fans talk new single, Beyoncé, Black country artists at sold-out Nashville show
- Belarus authorities unleash another wave of raids and property seizures targeting over 200 activists
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Former model sues Sean 'Diddy' Combs, claims he drugged, sexually assaulted her in 2003
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- London judge rejects Prince Harry’s bid to add allegations against Rupert Murdoch in tabloid lawsuit
- He traced his stolen iPhone to the wrong home and set it on fire killing 5. Now, he faces prison.
- Asian American, Pacific Islander Latinos in the US see exponential growth, new analysis says
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
- Vietnam’s top security official To Lam confirmed as president
- Boston Celtics benefit from costly Indiana Pacers turnovers to win Game 1 of East finals
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Summer House's Lindsay Hubbard Reveals If She's Dating Again 9 Months After Carl Radke Breakup
Vietnam’s top security official To Lam confirmed as president
Report says there was ‘utter chaos’ during search for Maine gunman, including intoxicated deputies
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Alaska man killed in moose attack was trying to take photos of newborn calves, troopers say
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs accused of 2003 sexual assault in lawsuit
'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon